Friday, November 7, 2014

Under the Weather

Wednesday afternoon I said to Tony, "I've got a little tickle in my throat. I sure hope it doesn't turn into anything."

Thursday at 0200 I woke up with my throat on fire, my face heavy, and my ears plugged. I had a very difficult time going back to sleep, and took some acetaminophen and started gargling saltwater. Once I woke up, I kept that up and added some Aprodine and tea to the mix. I would have used Zycam too, but the bottle was past date and it smelled a little funny, so I tossed it.

It has been raining all week, and I've spent a goodly bit of time walking around in it, since the car is STILL at the mechanic. I'm blaming a good old common cold for these symptoms, and not allergies or my flu vaccination. Time is probably the best way to feel better in this case, but thanks to my Facebook friends, I have a whole host of suggestions of things to try and help with both the nasal drip and the throat pain:

1) Tea - with varying suggestions for adding local honey, lemon, ginger, cinnamon, apple cider vinegar
2) Vick's VapoRub and tissues, especially VapoRub on feet with socks
3) Eucalyptus Oil
4) Tomato Tea - basically a virgin Bloody Mary with lots of lemon, garlic, and cayenne
5) Whiskey or bourbon, with or without tea
6) Wine, in lieu of Nyquil
7) Nyquil
8) Crackers - either Saltines or Triscuits
9) Hydrogen Peroxide Gargle followed by regular mouth wash gargle
10) Sleep
11) Water for hydration
12) Neti pot - distilled water only, of course
13) Cough Drops
14) Marshmallows
15) Chloraseptic Throat Lozenge
16) Bone broth, with ginger and peppers
17) Avoid dairy
18) Mucinex

I have to say, I feel very well loved, even from a distance. I have some wonderful friends and family, and got some interesting new suggestions to try. I'm only surprised no one suggested chocolate! Chocolate makes everything better, right?

I canceled an appointment today and stayed home. I mostly slept today, with a little time spent on household chores and homework. I also read some just for fun, but now it is time to go back to bed. Here's to a happier, healthier tomorrow!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be respectful here.